Monday, August 22, 2005

Hi I'm Brian Wilson I'm Fine How Are You?


We rocked out at the Brian WIlson concert on Wednesday night at the Oakdale. Fifth row baby! It was actually kind of fun. It's amazing how his music is timeless (which describes his state of mind too).

Music creates such a sense of place. I can still remember the sites and sounds and the smells of where I was with each song he sang.

It was rather eerie at times though, watching him on stage. I wonder if he knew where he was? He would just sit there, sometimes smile at inappropriate times, gesticulate out of synch with the stage members. He did seem to have a keen sense of the order of things though. Twice during the performance, once when the artifical flame did not rise up to his left and then again when his pedestal seat went missing, he seemed to become aware and attached to the present day world, but mostly to try to set the lack of order right.

The music was recognizable for the first half. Then upon returning from intermission, Brian and his massive back up 'krew' (at one point the musicians kjoining in numbered more than 15, including Swedish horn and string players!) broke into music from his album "SMILE". This was like a bizarre journey through the mind of Brian Wilson. If I wasnt sitted comfortably in the Oakdale next to my Aunt, I would have been frightened!

Here is a link to a Beach Boys timeline (from 1917 to 2005 if you can beleive it!) http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/1917-60.html

No comments: